What is the strongest nature antibiotic? Oregano!
Oregano Oil, also known as Oil of Oregano, it is the most powerful herbs in terms of justing being comprehensive. It’s an antioxidant, antibaterial, antiviral, anti-parasitic and an anti-inflammatory. It is widely used in food, cosmetics and pharmaceutical industries due to its health properties.
Oregano oil (Oil of Oregano) is made from the leaves of the oregano plant. Even though oregano is a well-known herb found in many kitchens, oregano herbal oil and oregano oil (Oil of Oregano) aren’t used for cooking. Rather, the oregano oil (Oil of Oregano) is used both topically and through inhalation to treat specific health conditions. The herbal oil can be taken as an herbal supplement.
oregano oil (Oil of Oregano) contains chemical compounds, including phenolic glycosides (phenols). These compounds have antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. Phenols, such as carvacrol, cymene, terpinine, and thymol, account for much of the composition of oregano oil (Oil of Oregano). It’s the phenols in oregano oil (Oil of Oregano) which make it beneficial. But it’s the carvacrol and thymol that elevated to powerhouse status, here’s what these two components do for your body.
Oregano is effective against at least 23 strains of bacteria including Pseudomonas Aeruginosa, which is the bacteria that causes urinary tract infections, respiratory system infections, dermatitis, soft tissue infections, bacteremia, bone and joint infections, gastrointestinal infections, and a variety of other systemic infections. A test tube study showed that carvacrol helps suppress the growth and spread of colon cancer cells. In studies, carvacrol has also inactivated norovirus which is a viral infection that causes diarrhea, nausea and stomach pain within one hour of treatment. More studies have shown that thymol and carvacrol inactivates 90% of the herpes simplex virus within just one hour. Carvacrol is effective against Staphylococcus Aureus and Staphylococcus Epidermidis. Carvacrol has also been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties that reduce tissue inflammation. Carvacrol and thymol can inhibit the growth of both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. Carvacrol and thymol also have anti-fungal and anti-biofilm effects. It’s effective against candida and parasites.
In empirical medicine, what are the benefits of oregano oil? Are there any side effects or contraindications? See the text analysis for details.
What is Oregano Oil (Oil of Oregano)?
oregano oil (Oil of Oregano) is the most powerful antiviral essential oil made from the leaves and twigs of the oregano plant after steam distillation.
And oregano, also known as Oregon grass, is a perennial herbaceous aromatic plant that mainly grows on hillsides, shrubs and grasslands 500 to 3,600 meters above sea level in Europe, North Africa and Asia. It has pinnate leaves and purple flowers, covering 61 species and 17 genera, belonging to 6 different plant families (especially Verbenaceae and Lamiaceae are the most economically valuable).
Oregano plants are known and valued for their essential oil content. They mainly contain the following chemical components, such as: Thymol, carvacrol, linalool, terpinen and sesquiterpenes, of which carvacrol has the highest content and is also the most effective ingredient.
Traditionally, oregano is used in folk medicine to relieve symptoms such as asthma, bronchitis, cough, diarrhea, indigestion, stomach pain, menstrual disorders, general infections, inflammation-related diseases, and diabetes.
What Are the Oregano Oil (Oil of Oregano) Benefits?
Oregano Oil Has Antibacterial Effect
Harmful microorganisms (such as bacteria and viruses) pose a considerable threat to human health. In developing countries, due to the scarcity of clean water, sewage treatment systems are overwhelmed, causing a disproportionate increase in infectious diseases.
It is estimated that 1,500 people die every hour from infectious diseases caused by harmful microorganisms (such as: respiratory infections, AIDS, diarrhea, tuberculosis, malaria and measles), and more than half of them are children under 5 years old.
One animal study showed that oral oregano oil could help fight infections caused by Staphylococcus aureus . Note 1
＊Conclusion: Animal studies point out that oregano oil can help fight infections caused by some bacteria, but human studies still need further verification.
Oregano Oil Has Anti-Inflammatory and Antioxidant Activity
Inflammation is an important self-protection response of the body to tissue damage or infection. During inflammation, many immune cells are involved. These different cells directly trigger immune events, such as the release of cytokines, chemokines and inflammatory mediators.
However, long-term inflammation is related to many chronic diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer. As a defense substance, antioxidants can offset these harmful effects and reduce the incidence.
A systematic literature review and meta-analysis (meta-analysis, including 9 animal studies) showed that carvacrol (the main component of oregano oil) can reduce interleukin 1β, interleukin 4, interleukin 8 and malondialdehyde (malondialdehyde) ), but had no significant effect on interleukin-6 and tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-α) . Note 2
＊Conclusion: Animal studies point out that oregano oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects, but human studies still need further verification
Oregano Oil Benefits People From Wound Healing
Wound healing is a normal physiological process. It goes through four precise and highly programmed stages, including: hemostasis, inflammation, proliferation and remodeling. For a wound to heal successfully, all four stages must be in the proper order And within the time frame.
Although minor injuries in healthy individuals usually heal well, the presence of larger injuries or physical and disease states (including age, infection, diabetes, vascular disease, and cancer) may have a negative impact on the healing process, which is currently being affected by the medical community Is still limited.
A systematic literature review (Systematic Review, including 13 animal experiments) pointed out that thymol (Thymol) or carvacrol (carvacrol) can play a positive role in the three stages of wound healing, including regulating inflammatory cytokines and promoting regeneration Development of epithelium, angiogenesis and granulation tissue, and improves collagen deposition, regulates growth of fibroblasts and keratinocytes . Note 3
＊Conclusion: Animal experiments indicate that Thymol or carvacrol, the main component of oregano oil, is helpful for wound repair, but human studies are still needed to confirm its effectiveness and safety
Oregano Oil Benefits People With Asthma
Asthma is a reversible airflow obstruction, non-specific bronchial hyperresponsiveness and chronic airway inflammation. Symptoms include dyspnea, cough, chest tightness, and shortness of breath.
The disease affects more than 300 million people worldwide and causes approximately 250,000 deaths each year. In recent decades, as inhaled corticosteroids have become the main treatment for asthma, the mortality rate has declined.
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase II clinical trial (2 months in 23 patients with moderate to severe asthma) showed that oral carvacrol capsules (carvacrol) helped improve lung function tests, respiratory symptoms , hematological indicators and high-sensitivity c-reactive protein (hs-CRP) . Note 4
＊Conclusion: Carvacrol, the main component of oregano oil, may have a positive effect on asthma, but due to the small number of samples, more large-scale studies are still needed to confirm its effectiveness and safety
Oregano Oil Benefits People With Parasitic Infections
Enteric parasitic infections caused by protozoan and helminths are one of the most common infections in developing countries. Due to the lack of adequate water and sanitation facilities, morbidity and mortality are very high.
It is estimated that a total of 400 million school-age children worldwide are infected with parasites, whether with or without obvious diarrhea, which have a strong impact on intestinal digestion and absorption, resulting in attention deficits, learning disabilities, malnutrition, anemia, growth retardation, irritability, cognitive obstacle
A human trial (6 weeks in 14 adult patients who tested positive for intestinal parasites) showed that oral oregano oil improved intestinal parasites (B. amoeba) infection symptoms . Note 5
＊Conclusion: Oral oregano oil may improve intestinal parasite infections, but limited by the small number of samples, more large-scale trials are needed to confirm its effectiveness and safety.
What Are the Oregano Oil Side Effects?
For subjects in good health, it is safe to use oregano oil in moderate amounts in the short term, but possible side effects or adverse reactions include gastrointestinal upset, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, increased bleeding, muscle pain, dizziness, headache, dysphagia, etc.
1. People who have been allergic to labiatae plants should not use it (may induce allergic reactions). Related plants include basil, peppermint, rosemary, sage, marjoram, oregano, hyssop, thyme, lavender and perill
2. Do not use for pregnant women, breastfeeding women, infants and young children (because the relevant safety is unknown)
3. Do not use for patients with poor liver and kidney function (because the relevant safety is unknown)
4. Abnormal coagulation function, taking anticoagulants, do not use the subject two weeks before the operation (because it may have anticoagulant effects), related drugs include: aspirin, clopidogrel, dabigatran (up to Bigatran), dalteparin (dalteparin sodium), enoxaparin, heparin, warfarin
5. Do not use with herbs that may affect blood coagulation, such as: angelica, cloves, salvia, garlic, ginger, ginkgo, panax notoginseng, horse chestnut, red alfalfa, turmeric, etc.
6. For topical topical use, please dilute with base oil (such as olive oil, coconut oil, etc.) before use to avoid skin irritation
7. Diabetics or those taking blood sugar lowering drugs should not be taken orally (because they may have blood sugar lowering effects). The names of related drugs include: glimepiride, glyburide, insulin, metformin, pioglitazone, rosiglitazone.
8. Do not use with herbs and supplements that may lower blood sugar, including: lipoic acid, bitter gourd, chromium, devil’s claw, fenugreek, garlic, guar gum, horse chestnut, ginseng, psyllium, Siberian ginseng, etc.
9. Before using any herbs, essential oils or supplements, it is best to consult professional medical personnel and follow the product instructions.
10. Do not use with lithium or diuretic, as it may increase the side effects of the drug.
What Are the Natural Ways to Use Oregano?
There are two ways you can take oregano at home, making oregano tea and oregano spice.
The most notable oregano tea benefits include keeping a healthy gut in balance and giving support to your immune system all in a very gentle way.
Oregano tea recipe is simple:
- Strip the oregano leaves off the lower stem, pinch the soft-top off, then discard the stem.
- Chop up the oregano, instead of just using the whole leaf, which releases more of the carvacrol and the thymol properties into the tea.
- Toss about a tablespoon of the fresh herb into your cup, then pour boiling water over the top, allow it to steep 20 minutes strain and drink.
- If you want to make a few days’ worth of the tea, place about a cup of the fresh oregano into a glass jar, then pour four cups of boiling water over the top, put on the lid and allow it to steep and cool several hours before putting it into the fridge. Strain and reheat when you’re ready to drink it, and this will last about a week in the fridge before you want to make a fresh batch.
Drinking oregano tea everyday can soothe a variety of health issues. However, if you have an actual infection, drinking oregano tea may not be strong enough to combat the infection, you may need to use oregano essential oil.
Oregano spice mix can be used as pasta or pizza seasoning which is very tasty and healthy. And it’s very easy to be made:
- Take one tablespoon each of oregano herb garlic seasoning powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon each of crushed black pepper, red chili flakes and dried basil herbs.
- Mix all these ingredients well.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of water to the spices.
- Mix well and then grind them with a mortar and pestle. A bit of moisture and grinding blends all the spices well and brings them together.
- Put the mix to microwave for a minute to let the water evaporate.
The steps to of making oregano spice mix are simple, but the ingredients and their measurements play a crucial role. So do not skip any of them and take exact quantity as shown, also refrigerate this mix in an airtight container for better shelf-life.
Where can I buy the highest quality Oregano Oil that is recommended by most people?
North American Herb & Spice Co., Oreganol, 60 Gelcaps
(Direct shipping from the United States / Worldwide delivery)
North American Herb & Spice sells high-quality oregano oil and carefully selects medicinal oregano from the Mediterranean mountains
No pesticides and fertilizers, no genetic modification
Oreganol P73 represents 73% Carvacrol main ingredient